History
History Button
Partners
PartnersvButton
Services
Services Button
Explore
Explore Button
Historic Churches

Allie Corn House   |   Benjamin Piatt Fowler House   |   Boone County Clerks Building
Boone County Courthouse   |   Boone County Deposit Bank   |   Botts House   |   Cave Johnson House
Clore House   |   Collins-Revill Farm   |   Colonel Abner Gaines House
Dr. James T. Grubbs House   |   George W. Terrill House
Prospect Farm (the J. C. Jenkins House)   |   Robert Chambers House

Allie Corn House
 Allie Corn HouseBuilt in 1893, the Allie Corn House is one of the finest Queen Anne Style residences in Boone County. Allie Corn was a farmer and banker in Burlington who moved to Erlanger after his only daughter died at the age of 28. In addition to the elaborately detailed house, this National Register farm complex on Graves Road in northern Boone County includes a livestock barn, smokehouse, tenant house and other outbuildings.
 Top Of Page
 
Benjamin Piatt Fowler House
 Benjamin Piatt Fowler HouseThe Benjamin Piatt Fowler House on US 42 in Union has stellar associations with early settlement along Gunpowder Creek in the interior of Boone County. It was built in 1817 on land that belonged to Jacob Fowler, who acquired it through a land grant. Benjamin Piatt Fowler, son of Jacob Fowler, founded the Boone House Hotel in Burlington in 1830. During his 1863 escape through Boone County, General John Hunt Morgan spent the night at the Fowler House. The only settlement-era stone house in the interior of Boone County, the Fowler House is an outstanding example of stone masonry, with exemplary detailing and craftsmanship. Beside the house stands a stone smokehouse with hipped roof. The property is listed in the National Register.
 Top Of Page
 
Boone County Clerks Building
 Boone County Clerks BuildingOriginally located opposite the courthouse, the Old Boone County Clerk’s Building is the county’s sole surviving government building of the antebellum era. Begun in 1853 and completed in 1854, it is a well-proportioned Greek Revival temple-form brick structure, distinguished by brick pilasters that mark the bays on all sides. The facade originally had a centered door, but the building was remodeled and a metal vault installed after it was sold and converted into a bank in 1889. From 1889 to 1924 the building housed the Boone County Deposit Bank. When a new bank building was constructed in 1924, the Old Clerk’s Building was moved across Jefferson Street and converted to a Post Office, a capacity in which it served until 1959. In 2001-2002, the Old Clerk’s Building was saved from demolition, moved to its current site at the corner of Garrard and Gallatin streets and completely restored.
 Top Of Page
 
Boone County Courthouse
 Boone County CourthouseCompleted in 1889, the Boone County Courthouse is a stately blend of Neoclassical and Second Renaissance Revival architecture. This c. 1890 photograph is the earliest known image of the courthouse, the third to occupy the same site. Built for $19,740, the building was designed by the McDonald Brothers (a Louisville architectural firm) and built by the McGarvey Brothers (a Cincinnati contractor). The courthouse is a Renaissance Revival brick edifice, cruciform in plan, with subsidiary blocks in the four angles. The exterior walls are articulated by pilasters and a deep cornice; rusticated brickwork lends depth and visual interest. A lower brick wing was added to the east elevation about 1960. During the 1880s, the McDonald Brothers designed numerous Kentucky courthouses with similar floorplans. By varying the size of the structure, dome or steeple, and the exterior wall treatments, the firm was able to furnish designs for courthouses ranging in cost from about $20,000 over $50,000.

In 1898, the original dome was replaced with a much smaller cupola. The cupola was designed by prolific Cincinnati architects Samual Hannaford & Sons, who designed both Cincinnati City Hall and Music Hall in Over the Rhine. The massive wood truss system that supported the original dome remains in the building, but virtually everything above that point was cut out and replaced. The alteration was costly and frustrating for the county, which paid nearly $20,000 for the building only 9 years before. The reasons for the alteration are clear: the weight of the dome was pushing the walls of the building apart. A 1902 article in the Boone County Recorder notes that “the inside walls of the court house are shisters [sic] of the worst kind...the man who was paid to superintend the construction of the building either did not understand his business or was a fraud.” In continuous public service for nearly 125 years, the Boone County Courthouse is arguably the most significant historic building in Boone County.
 Top Of Page
 
Boone County Deposit Bank
 Boone County Deposit BankThe offices of the Boone County Planning Commission are housed in the 1925 Boone County Deposit Bank, located at the southeast corner of Washington and Jefferson Streets in Burlington. This historic building, part of the Burlington National Register Historic District, was built on the site of the original County Clerk’s office (see above). The Boone County Deposit Bank was built in the Classical style, a common design for business structures in the early twentieth century. The building features wire cut brick and stone details. There were originally three doors across the front, with the ones on each end being made into windows at a later date. The lobby was forty feet long, with counters made of mahogany, marble and plate glass. The bank vault, still in place today, has concrete walls two and a half feet thick, reinforced with steel, and a 20,000 pound steel door. The bank used the first floor for its operation, while the second floor housed a lodge room used by various local organizations.
 Top Of Page
 
Botts House
 This c. 1880 residence on Petersburg Road above Idlewild is listed in the National Register. Jigsaw ornamentation and decorative shingles along with an irregular form identify the Botts House as a good example of the Queen Anne style in Boone County.
 Top Of Page
 
Cave Johnson House
 Cave Johnson HouseThe imposing main block of Boone County’s northernmost home - the Cave Johnson House - was built circa 1797 by Cave Johnson, Boone County’s first County Clerk. The house, which is listed in the National Register of Historic Places, incorporates a monumental portico and veranda overlooking the Ohio River. Johnson’s friend William Henry Harrison lived on the opposite shore of the river in North Bend, Ohio, and the two men frequently crossed the river to visit. The Cave Johnson house is arguably the oldest brick building in the county, and is also one of the county’s finest examples of Federal period architecture. The early 19th Century brick slave quarters still stand on the property. Like other early river front residences, the house was remodeled in the mid-19th Century to create a formal entrance facing River Road; the tree-lined drive was developed in the early 20th Century.
 Top Of Page
 
Clore House
 The National Register listed Clore House was built about 1895 and is an excellent example of an urban house form in a rural setting. The building is tall and narrow with Victorian detailing confined to the front facade. The house is prominently sited at the intersection of Kentucky 18 and Kentucky 20 just outside Belleview.
 Top Of Page
 
Collins-Revill Farm
 Collins-Revill FarmThis c. 1840 frame farmhouse is located on Bullittsville Road just north of Burlington. The main house has elements of both Federal and Greek Revival styles and has remained largely unaltered. The farm complex is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and features a number of original outbuildings, including the summer kitchen and slave quarters.
 Top Of Page
 
Colonel Abner Gaines House
 Colonel Abner Gaines HouseLocated just north of Walton on Old Nicholson Road, the Colonel Abner Gaines House is one of the signature buildings of early Boone County. One of the first high-style residences built in the county, it is richly detailed and generously scaled. The refined Federal doorway, surmounted by a large fanlight, is adorned with fluted trim and paneled jambs. A small gabled porch in early Greek Revival style dates from c. 1830-1840. The interior of the house boasts the county’s finest ensemble of Federal-era woodwork, including mantelpieces, cupboards and doorways with delicately carved classical details. The house was built c. 1814 for Colonel Abner Gaines, who operated an inn, tavern and stagecoach stop here. Gaines was proprietor of the first Cincinnati-Lexington stage line. He also served as a Boone County Justice from 1805 to 1817, at which time he was appointed sheriff. The town that grew up around the tavern came to be named Gaines Cross Road - today’s Walton.
 Top Of Page
 
Dr. James T. Grubbs House
 Dr. James T. Grubbs HouseBuilt in the 1860s, the Grubbs House on River Road at Taylorsport is one of Boone County’s most notable Italianate dwellings. In 1903, the Grubbs House was purchased by Charles O. Hempfling, who became one of the most progressive farmers in Boone County history. Hempfling was known for his Big Red apples, which he “marketed by the thousands of bushels through brokers handling fancy eating fruit” (Boone County Recorder “Historical Edition,” 19301). He is also credited with introducing Red Delicious apples to Kentucky.
 Top Of Page
 
George W. Terrill House
 George W. Terrill HouseBuilt just after the Civil War in 1865, the George W. Terrill is one of the finest Italianate dwellings in Boone County. The recessed double gallery and cornice brackets of this National Register property are particularly notable.
 Top Of Page
 
Prospect Farm (the J. C. Jenkins House)
 Prospect Farm (the J. C. Jenkins House)Superbly sited on a lofty hilltop overlooking Petersburg and the Ohio River is Boone County’s only Italian villa, the grand residence of Joseph C. Jenkins. An artful composition of Italianate, Gothic, Greek Revival and Moorish elements, the house includes a three-stage tower in three different styles. Born in Orange County, Virginia, Jenkins was a steamboat captain who came to Boone County in 1832 and became part owner of the Boone County Distilling Company. He later raised fine livestock on his 1,200-acre estate. The house is easily visible from within the town of Petersburg.
 Top Of Page
 
Robert Chambers House
 Robert Chambers HouseThe Robert Chambers House on East Bend Road just south of Burlington is one of the most spectacular Greek Revival residences in Boone County. The house was built for Robert Chambers between 1832 and 1836 by mason Jessie Kelly and master woodworker Thomas Zane Roberts, Sr. Although seldom used, the elaborate north doorway represents the most academically correct use of the relatively sophisticated Greek Doric order in the county. It contains engaged columns and original leaded stained glass sidelights. Contained in the rear ell is a recessed porch with square columns. The property was in the Caldwell family from 1944 to 2005.
 Top Of Page
 
Home | Events | History | Partners | Services | Explore
All rights reserved
Boone County Historic Preservation Review Board
Boone County, KY USA
Content contact Matt Becher
Dynamic Database Design by:
Woolper Creek Solutions